10 October 2011

Winter squash: the Butternut

Wait. There's more. Just continuing on and thinking of the Butternut squash: how about soup? So using the same 3/4" cubes, cooked on high for 7 minutes in combo of chicken stock and duck stock (3 cups and 2 cups) made them soft to the fork and soft for the blender. I poured off all the liquid to a bowl. I used a wand blender to make a heavy, heavy soup. I then started adding the cooking liquid back and kept blending. When all was back in it was a great consistency.

I think that adding water would have been sufficient. The stocks give it a different mouth feel: richer. I know a robust vegetable stock would have been perfect too. Say cooking water from carrots, kale and broccoli....
This would allow a pure vegetable soup.

I didn't know what to expect so I added judiciously. Some salt and ground pepper to taste. A dash or two of Worcester Sauce, and a teaspoon of yellow curry powder. Stirred up and served garnished with scallions. Butternut soup is a great tribute to fall vegetables on cooler nights.

3 comments:

  1. oh dear oh dear, Chris. We really need folks to show up at the preserves swap on Saturday. I hadn't realized how unusual it is for people to can these days.

    John, if you're reading this, I hope you take it as a plea to show up, too. There will be lots of good stuff to swap.

    Chris, you're getting me in a butternut squash mode...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, from Adam at Cafe Adam: I was at a birthday party yesterday afternoon and one of the h d'o was cubes of butternut squash, sauteed, skewered, and dusted with bacon and pumpkin (possible they were butternut seeds) seeds. Lovely, simple, and very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam went on, in the birthday party, to serve a lovely meal with great variety and finesse.

    ReplyDelete