14 October 2011

Celery root

It may be ugly and tough however, when you prepare it you'll wonder why you've not had it to dinner before. Peeled, chunked, and processed with a shredding blade in the food robot, it is the basis for the classic Celery Remoulade (Celeri Remoulade [with the proper accents]) You can swing the tone around because the sauce is mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and lemon juice. I added a bit more mustard and used 1/2 lemon for 14 ounces of root. I served it with broiled veal chops so it offset the fat and richness of the meat just perfectly. I know you can cook the root, probably by boiling or steaming, then whip it into a wonderful creaminess like a potato. I'll try that Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. I love celery root too. There is some out in the garden waiting for me. I often use it in stews as it greatly enriches the broth

    ReplyDelete