17 February 2010

Turnips redux

The smaller are sweeter. The terroir is there too. Even soft on the shelf seems to cook well and taste as I might expect. When making batch one of the puree of turnip I cut each into smallish chunks: 1/2 and 1/2 and 1/2 and 1/2. I guess that makes 16 pieces. The boiling was short, monitored by a fork. As in potatoes: softened is done. Off to the food processor with a bit of butter, salt, and some grinds of pepper. They were fantastic, almost as good as I had hoped; however, they were a bit watery. The watery tone did not make the taste bad, or look bad, but it wasn't where I wanted to be. I am certain it was a) boiling and b) too small a piece. So the following batch was only in quarters. Same processing, and a much, much better consistency. They were not like a whipped potato, but they did hold a peak somewhat. They were slightly more particulate, softly granular, and still had a bit of water. Last time I whipped parsnips - no water, even though boiled too. So now I might try the roasting then into the processor. I am certain I will have to put it through a chinois because I don't think the baked will process smoothly. We'll see. Winter is the perfect time to do this experiment as the fragrance scents the house and the heat, well, the heat is welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment